Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Christmas is coming...


My daughter just started my column for me.  There was a nice centered title that read “Christmas is coming.”  She indented the first paragraph and began telling about how it was all about Jesuss.

I have had several experiences recently that have reminded me I do not have small children anymore.  My oldest now has her license and took the whole crew to school last week for the first time without me. 

I stood in the carport and watched them all leave.  It was really strange!  I have carried them everywhere with me.  It has always been 4 plus 1.  Them and me.  Last week, the equation changed.  It was just 4.  They did not need me to be the plus 1.  I cried and smiled. 

It hit me again that I no longer have little kids when I asked my son to pour me another cup of coffee yesterday.   Not long ago, I would have never asked him to remove a glass pot full of hot liquid and to pour it for me, much less to walk across the kitchen to give it to me. 

That spells DANGER anyway you look at it with a small child; however, you see, my son is not a small child anymore.  He is big.  He is big enough to handle hot coffee and breakable cups.  He is big enough to help me.  I no longer have to just help him. It works both ways now. 

Since they are so big, I challenged all six of my passengers this morning on the way to church to do something to help someone every day between now and Christmas…to make it REAL!

Only a few hours later, I had a chance to practice what I had preached at the dollar store. I let three people who had only a few items go in front of me.  We kept our cart parked and motioned the next person in line on up.  The kids did start to look at me like I was crazy when I let the third man go.  He was the only other person in the store I think, so we stopped there with the kindness and proceeded to check out. 

My boys had a chance to help someone too today.  We were taking a friend home and noticed some cows out in the road.  The crazy cows started following me down the blacktop road when I passed them.  You would have thought I was waving a bag of range cubes.  We spotted a gentleman trying to herd them up on his ATV.

I asked him if he needed help.  He did and the two big boys with me jumped out.  It was quite the show to watch them with their new friend get the cows back into the gate.  There was a lot of mudding, running, and hands flying in the air involved in the process.   It took time and determination. 

Mr. Willard, their new friend, thanked them for the help.  He could have done it alone, but the round-up was faster with the two teenage boys.

I realized as we moseyed on down the road that we were looking for someone to help and we found them…just like that!  Ask the Lord to send you someone you can help.  You may spot them sooner than later.

Need some help yourself this week?  Luke 2 tells the story of the birth of Jesus.  The whole reason He came was to help us.  I am in awe of that truth.  He was born a King to help me.  He was born a King to help you.  Let Him help you today!  He is Christ the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment