Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Vacation


I am currently away with my daughter on a softball trip.  It has truly been a blessing and a great way to start Thanksgiving!  I often tag along with her on these adventures.  My friend tells me all of the time that it is pretty cool I get to be with my kid while she chases her dream. I agree! 

If it were not for her, I would be at home and stuck in the same old rut.  Getting out some and going to new places is good for me.  I traveled a lot in my teens and twenties.  I forgot that I enjoyed it.  Motherhood does that to us.  I remember now the joy I find in seeing new things and living a bit outside of the routine of work and housework. 

I am cracking up at the present moment because she just went to meet up with her friends and told me to text her if I needed anything.  What could I possibly need?  I am in a hotel room with snacks and a laptop.  I am in good shape! 

I assured her that I wouldn’t need a thing and reminded her that I was an adult.  She laughed and told me not to open the door for strangers and walked on out.  Kids these days…

We made our way this afternoon down Highway One to Newport Beach.  I enjoyed two, not one because they were so yummy, hand-dipped ice cream bars.  I admired the locals pedaling their bikes along the crowded streets and took off my shoes to feel the sand between my toes. 

After we ate, the girls were ready to shop.  The adults on the trip suggested that we walk out onto the pier and take it all in.  The younger crew agreed, but we could tell that the retail side of the picturesque town was sucking them in.  They were ready to drop a few bucks on some junk. 

They followed us, respecting our wisdom every step of the way.  We ended up seeing a shark, a seal, a few stingrays, and an amazing sunset from the end of the pier.   The great thing was that all of what we saw was FREE of charge.  It was nature at its finest, and all part of God’s amazing creation. What we witnessed was better than anything money could buy.

That’s the thing.  The best things in life are free.  Friendly board games at the kitchen table (usually poker for us), early mornings spent in the deer stand, car rides with the windows rolled down and the radio turned up, and things like sunshine on your face after a spell of cloudy weather are the best.   

As we approach the holidays, keep the free things in life first on your list.  Take that walk after dinner with a loved one, sit down to enjoy a second cup of coffee with your friend, and join your children on every adventure that you can. 

Most of all, spend some time this season with Jesus.  He craves a relationship with you…and it is true, the best things in life are free because His love for us is free.  He guarantees peace on earth now and eternity in heaven for anyone who is willing to receive Him.  Knowing Jesus won’t cost you a dime, but not knowing Him could cost you everything! 

No comments:

Post a Comment