Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, April 11, 2016

Grow up!


Spring in here.  I can see it and feel it.  The birds are singing, the trees are budding, and our allergies are kicking.  We constantly cling to a box of Kleenex and rub our eyes. 
The Bluebonnets and Indian paintbrushes line the highways and whisper to us that spring is here.  They are as beautiful as any Monet painting I saw on my travels in Europe and literally take my breath away every year.
My husband mowed one day last week for the first time.  We have a lot of ground to cover here.  It is both stressful to get it all done and a source of joy for him I think.  The finished product is absolutely beautiful.  We built our house about 12 years ago in the middle of a pasture.  He has done a great job transforming our pasture into an amazing yard.  It looks the best after the first cut in the spring too.
The day after he mowed when rounded the corner after school and could see the front of the house, one of my boys said “Wow, look at that grass…it is already springing up.”  I did not noticed the new growth. I was in awe of how green and manicured the grass looked and especially in front of my unmanicured flowerbeds.  (That’s on my to-do list.)
The crazy thing was that later that day I made my way back down the white rock road with my other son after track practice and he said “Look at Dad’s grass. It is already growing.”  I saw that as a clear sign from the LORD that He was speaking to me about growth. 
True, everything here is growing. I thankfully have a driver in the family.  It seems like just yesterday that I pushed my oldest daughter around in a jog stroller in our Dallas neighborhood.  Last week she drove us to Dallas.  I call that growth. 
My boys are bigger than me. When we are working outside, they push me aside and often say “Here Mom, I’ve got that.”  I pretend like I can carry a sack of feed just for fun, but everyone knows that it is really a struggle and the sack will probably end up busted.  My youngest is not really young at all anymore.  She keeps me in line with her sense of humor and facial expressions. 
Yes, everyone is growing up, but am I?   I paused a few days ago and asked myself that important question.  Am I GROWING UP?  Am I getting closer to the LORD all of the time or am I satisfied staying right where I am in a state of stagnation.  I found myself last week feeling numb, sluggish, and just blah in my walk with Jesus.  I hate to admit that, but it is true. 
I was reminded from a pastor on the radio to get in the Word.  The Word and the amount of time I spend reading and studying my Bible is a direct correlation to my growth and my closeness with Jesus Christ.  That is a fact.  I got back in the Word like I should have been and was instantly refreshed. 
Please do not let this Easter pass and allow it to be just another holiday with good food and egg hunts.  Get into the WORD and read about the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.   
Ask yourself also:   Am I growing closer to the Lord daily?    
2 Peter 3:18 says “Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Glory belongs to Him both now and forevermore.” 
I say “Amen” to that!  Get in the Word this week and grow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment