Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, April 11, 2016

Three dogs


Yesterday I ventured out for an afternoon run.  Who am I kidding?  It was really a jog, walk or stroll.  Run just sounds better.  All the way down to the lake, I thanked the LORD for my own version of White Rock Lake right in my front yard. 

White Rock Lake was my favorite when I lived in Dallas.  Now, our lake is my top pick because I can take my dogs without a leash and wear my pajama pants if I choose.  I did both yesterday.

Mind you, I have to watch my three dogs closely and for different reasons.

Belle, the older and rounder lab, must be monitored or she might have a heart attack from all of the huffing and puffing she does. 

I cannot take my eyes off of Bubs, the Jack Russell, or he will take off and torment other animals residing anywhere within a five mile radius around us. 

Salty, our Blue Heeler puppy, requires my watch care or she will unknowingly knock me for a loop.  She runs like a skilled football player who has mastered the art of cutting, juking, and running over off anything or anyone in her way.   

The three of them entertained me so much that I called my youngest daughter and invited her to come watch the show. I am all about free entertainment.   We ended up on the pier together laughing. 

Salty, the young, immature, puppy of the group, was in and out of the water like a total maniac.  She went under the pier and came out on the other side as if to say “Peek-a-boo.”  The other dogs were not interested in her game.  Every time she came our way, we braced ourselves against the railing of the dock, knowing her lack of control could send us in for an undesirable swim.  Her playfulness made her clueless at times of her surroundings and oblivious to the safety of others. 

Bubs, was on task the whole time at the lake.  He did not get near the water and sure did not go into it.  He is cold natured like me.  (We prefer direct sunlight and blankets on the couch.)  He hunted over by a boat and tried to sniff up something to chase and devour just for the fun of it.  Unlike Salty, he was not playful, but purposeful. 

Belle, the blonde Granny of the bunch, sat back on the outskirts and just watched the whole scene.  She was probably was thinking it was time to go on home, but she did not leave us.  She stayed on guard and interacted when necessary.

Our three dogs reminded me of the topic of spiritual maturity that is taught in Hebrews 5:11-14.  The author says to immature Jewish Christians “We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn.  In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again.  You need milk, not solid food.” It goes on to say that solid food is for the mature and for those who can distinguish good from evil. 

That packs a punch!  My dogs are obviously on different levels of maturity, and we are too!  For us, it has less to do with age and more to do with our willingness to seek the LORD and put into practice what we learn.  We cannot learn the same principles over and over again.  There comes a time for us to stop learning and start acting on what we know!   

I pray this week I can act on something I have learned in a mature manner that pleases my LORD. Join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment