Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, April 11, 2016

Lamb pen fiasco


Lamb pen fiasco is the unofficial title of this week’s column.  Let me explain.  Three of the Monico kids bought lambs for the county fair.  We have really enjoyed sitting over in the big pen that connects with their smaller living quarters and hanging out.  One day my youngest did her homework at the lamb pen.  Since she was working so hard over there, I even delivered her a snack.  Everything over in that direction has been calm and quiet since we got the lambs unloaded and settled in. 

I decided last week to even move my favorite kick back, reclining lawn chair over into the pen.  It is our philosophy that the more you hang out with the animals, the better they acclimate to humans.  I am not sure if I should be proud or ashamed to admit that I have taken a few 10 minute naps in my comfortable chair IN the lamb pen.  My excuse has been that I am monitoring the lambs. 

The coolness and calmness of the area all changed Friday.  I grabbed my chair by the handle and something in it moved.  It was a mouse.  I threw the chair and screamed.  Bosque and Blaise came to my rescue.  I left the pen to somewhat regain my composure.  Bosque grabbed a shovel and Blaise hopped up on the show box so she could safely be a part of the action.  Bosque spotted varmint under the scales.  He asked if he could go to the house to get a gun.  That was a NO.

We needed a plan.  The easiest thing we could come up with was to get Bubs, my Jack Russell.  I called him on over.  I sat him in the area of the mouse and watched to see what he could accomplish.  I did not expect for him to run the mouse out and for it to run my way. In a split second, I went from watching Bubs in action like a proud parent to jumping up on the show box with Blaise and screaming like a total maniac. 

The good news is that we had a needed laugh.  I found myself in a mood that afternoon and the laughter was unexpected, but a real blessing.  The bad news is that the mouse escaped Bubs and will probably find its way to my chair again.   

The only thing I could think when the little thing ran across the ground was GET OUT OF ITS WAY!  I could only imagine what it would do to me.  It was in control.  I was willing to move, jump, run, and do whatever was necessary to get out of its path.  My plan of jumping up on the show box worked.

Sometimes in life getting out of the way is the best plan.  We often mess up what the LORD is trying to do when we step in and try to take control of situations.  Jesus Christ is always working and His plan is always best.  When we take over by offering advice or even criticism, we are in a way telling the God that we know better and trying to be someone else’s Holy Spirit!   

Yes, this is a hard thing to do!  When worry, fear, and anxiety take over, we automatically want to spring into action and take control.  However, we are much better off to get out of the way and pray!  (Yes, that rhymes.)

A great verse to memorize and say out loud this week is Isaiah 12:2.  It says “I will trust in the LORD and not be afraid.”  Maybe this is the week that you decide to let go and LET GOD!  If so, get out of way, and allow HIM to work.  Jump, run, hide, duct tape your mouth, and do whatever you have to do to give control of the situation back to Jesus Christ.  HE always knows best! 

No comments:

Post a Comment