Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Tuesday, November 20, 2012

a ride in the dark

With the time change in full swing, we are finding a need to use the flashlights more and venture out in the dark to get our daily chores done.  Jr. High sports sometimes make us out a little later at night.  That was true last night.  It was totally dark when we got in; however, we had to take the trash to the dumpster down the road.  I loaded up my two big kids. I would NEVER do it on my own. I am a total wimp about that.  We got on the Ranger, turned on the big spotlight, and started out on our adventure. 

Our first stop was the chicken coop.  It needed to be closed.  I used the flashlight and found myself shining it out into the woods to see what could be out there in the distance, forgetting that there could be something right in front of me on the ground.  I reminded myself to keep my focus on what could be right in front of me and not out in the woods lurking.  One step at a time! 

By the dumpster, I had to grab my flashlight again.  I shined it out by the road and even watched a truck out there to see what it might be up to.  I forgot again that there could be snakes, coons, skunks, loads to creepy crawly things right there by my feet.  AGAIN...a need to focus on only what was near me.  Brazos, being the son that he is, placed a fake snake by the dumpster when I was not looking.  We will not go into details about how I reacted when I saw it.  I was a WRECK!

There is a remedy in the Bible for this type of worry, fear, and thinking about what is next instead of what is right in front of us.  The Message says "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow.  God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."  Matthew 6:34 in the NIV says the same in different wording.  "Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."

I was visiting with a friend who is dealing with a huge battle!  Both of her parents have cancer.  She said that she only lives one day at a time.  She does not think about next week, next month, or what will happen next.  She is so wise!  She is focusing on what is NOW and today, not allowing herself to go into what is next, what may be.  The worry that could creep into her life would drive her crazy if she did not focus on ONLY the here and now.

Focus on what is right in front of you, leaving the future in the future, not allowing any worry to creep in this week and enjoy Thanksgiving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment