Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Thursday, November 8, 2012

Too tired

Brazos is a fabulous speller. He can out spell me any day. I am helping him with a challenging science packet and he just got confused on b or d. Which was which had him stumped! I remember in first grade that he had the same issue. He mastered the b/d issue by writing the word bed. The b and d in the word "bed" served as his markers and kept him on the right track.

I would not expect this problem to come back in the 5th grade. He was tested for only a few seconds, then his brain kicked back in, and he was back in action writing away.

Why the temporary loss of brain power? My sweetie is tired! We all are more susceptible to memory lapses, brain farts, confusion, and even fits when we are tired.

Maybe we all do too much? Maybe we let our kids do too much? Maybe keeping up with the family next door, and not just for money, but also for bragging rights about how good our kids perform, play, or even how wonderful their grades are, wears us all out if we are really honest!

Has my family figured this out? No! But, I will say that I enjoy a day in the backyard as much as a I do a day earning a trophy. Maybe I am odd...I feel like I have lived many years of my life on a "merry go round" and from time to time, I give myself and my family the right to jump off and just be home!

When I am overwhelmed again and the pace picks up too much, I remind myself that I could need more rest, less activity and less coffee!

Why have the sales on energy drinks skyrocketed? Are we really happy doing more and working more so we can do more that costs more?

Pull everyone out, do nothing, stay home to garden, knit our own sweaters for winter, and chop wood for fireplace? I think not, but we should allow ourselves the right to say no to too much, stay in, and remember how to be a family. The activities, hustle and bustle of life will go on forever, but my time here with my family all at home will not go on forever.

"Be still and know that I am God" from Psalms 46:10 is the key. If I am so busy that I can never get still and know God, then how will my family and loved ones see God in me? I've got to be more than just a tired, stressed out, hurried parent! God can help me be more and you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment