Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Kink in the hose

Ignore the title if this blog please for just a minute. We will get to that!

I used to read the verses in 2 Corinthians 12: 7-10 and think Paul had lost his mind. He speaks of a thorn in his side that tormented him. Three times he plead with The Lord to take it away and The Lord said to him "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Paul goes on in verse 10 and says "That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." Wow, that used to throw me for a loop! I had always been taught that being weak was not good and that not to accept something bring broken, but to fix it! I'm a "fixer" by nature! This weak and strong dialogue was a tough pill for me to swallow!

I can say honestly that now, as I quickly approach 40, that I get it! I get it, Paul. I get it, Lord! I may do a perfect toe touch when I get in the pearly gates and shout that! I get it.

My weaknesses, the thorns in my side, make me weak and without the Lord would destroy me. I need Him! That "need" that I totally acknowledge and admit makes me strong because I have to seek The Lord daily to "live" this thing called life.

Maybe your thorn is a relationship that you could not deal with alone, an addiction you know that could rear its ugly head and take you down at any moment, a person at work, an eating habit, a business that has failed for years, a child who had turned away from the truth, an old mistake or insecurity that you still hold onto, a failed marriage, or even a failed year or two at school. In all of these, in any of these, when you are weak, about to loose it, you are closer to The Lord than you will ever be when life is cheery and bright.

We had a kink in the water hose last week by the chicken coop. It was cold outside but we really needed to wash our hands. One of my kids said something like this...OH, I'm so glad that kink is in that hose. It's perfect. We needed it. It keeps the water down enough so we don't get wet.

I thought about the above verses written by Paul, annointed by my Father in heaven, and said "Yeah, I thank The Lord for the kinks in the hoses too." I thought about how the kink in the hose related to the thorn in the flesh. My son's response was a very puzzled look directed my way.

The kink in the hose, the thorn in your side, the "IT" today that threatens to bring you down will make you stronger than ever if it sends you to The Lord for help. That help is called grace. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment