Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Thursday, January 3, 2013

Quiet time ?

Ok, so a new year and maybe a resolution to read your Bible daily, pray, study, get a quiet time going again or start one for the first time.

Where to begin? A friend just asked me for ideas. I love Jesus Calling by Sarah Young because she personalizes the word and makes it real!!! The book is a great short, daily devotional that with a cup of coffee and a prayer sure can get your day off to a good start. It's not a tool to use to study, but a quick thought and motivation for the day.

My next idea is to find a small group Bible study or a Sunday school class. Most women's classes offer studies that would have some type of curriculum you will work on at home and then share with the group weekly. I must admit that I usually do much better with a group to hold me accountable. I wish I didn't have to have that, but I usually do! If you don't know of a group currently meeting, start one at your home or at your church. Beth Moore Bible studies are my fav for this type of casual group. She is amazing! Do not pressure yourself to keep up with the weekly schedule if you do an in depth study. We usually have to make a week a few weeks. Beth's daily homework is 5 days per week and typically takes me 30 to 45 minutes per day. It's time we'll spent, but with kids, sometimes I can't get up quite early enough! "Believing God" is one of her studies that I think is a great place to start. You could do it alone too if you had to.

Honestly too, a good teacher is the GUIDE to get you into the Word of God and help you study your Bible, but the real change will always come from you, your Bible, and your relationship growing closer with The Lord! I browse LIFEWAY for materials.

Do not be legalistic about your quiet time. Think of it as a relationship you want to strengthen this year! To make any relationship stronger, it will take time and attention! This is just what The Lord wants from us. Our time and our attention.

I call my morning time quiet time. It varies from a Sunday school lesson, Bible study Curriculum, a page of a devotional book, my prayer notecards to pray for my family, or my tv on Joyce Meyer as I rush to get ready because I overslept! All if this counts. Your goal here is to seek The Lord! He is waiting every day for you to spend time with Him.

Do you always spend time with your family and friends doing the same things? I doubt it! They is true too for your most important relationship with Jesus. Just hang out with Him. Read, journal, reflect, pray, sit quietly with Him. Declare that the day is His! You will be so blessed!

Another activity that saves me is running with my iPod on Christian music. I love Jeremy camp, Chris Tomlin, Nicole C. Mullins, etc. My afternoons can be transformed if I will run with my praise music! Random
Thought, I know.

After quiet time in the morning. I coined the phrase years ago of "constant time." That's where you don't turn off what you read, studied, learned, prayed just because you start the next part of your day. Look for ways to put it into practice, to live in that faith, to share that love, patience, forgiveness, and to ask The Lord for help all day long! Notice your blessings all day long and silently say thank you, Jesus! If you work alone or can say it out loud, let it come out, thank you, Jesus! Let the quiet time you shared with Jesus be the beginning of an ongoing conversation all day that you share with Him.

Other ideas? Share them here! Women want to start the year off right and in the Word. Please share here with a comment or suggestion! We talk about handbags, kids, work, hairstyles, so lets talk about how, what keeps us in the Word!

My personal motivation for daily time with Jesus is that I know where I would be without Him and it is not good!!! I have to have Him and the Word of God is the main thing that keeps me from the PITs of life!! The truth hurts, but I must say: thank you Lord that you want a relationship with me. Amazing! Where would I be without it? Painful thought!!!

After you invite Jesus into your heart, the conversation never should cease. Start it in the morning, visit all day, and when you wake up at night, pray for someone. If you question whether you know The Lord as your Savior, pray now. Ask Him to be Lord of your Life.

1 comment:

  1. Betsy, I, too, love Jesus Calling. When I wake up in the mornings, it is the first thing I read before getting out of bed!

    Another idea is www.goodmorninggirls.org. A great place for Bible Study. A new study is starting Jan. 14 -- Luke 1-8. I am facilitating a Facebook group. It is simply where you study the verses each day and we discuss them together, pray together, praise together, etc. on a Facebook Group page. Anyone is welcome. Just message me on FB and I'll add who ever wants to join. It started as girls from Texas and has now got girls from all over the US! It is a great study for your personal quite time and yet a way to connect with other Christian women.

    Happy New Year and I hope you and your family receive immeasurable blessings.

    ReplyDelete