Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, June 22, 2014

chicken feed

I just got home from the movie GOD’S NOT DEAD, so I will have to try to really focus to get my column done tonight. I need more time to think about the movie before I could even begin to put it into words. I will say this…it is a must see, a cancel other plans, make plans now, and get to the theater type of movie. My topic has nothing to do with movies, but more to do with real life here in my kitchen. Trust me too; this place is nothing like Hollywood. One morning last week I had three of my lovely children lined up at the bar for breakfast. I was in the kitchen pretending like I was working at Sam’s again when they arrived. (Yes, I am a morning person, but not worth a flip past 9:00 P.M.) Breakfast is big here because I know what a school day entails. I believe that a good night’s rest and a decent breakfast with protein helps kids stay on task and alive until lunch. On this particular morning, thank God I was in a really pleasant mood and running ahead of schedule, I had nothing in my house in the way of breakfast food. We were out of eggs. We were out of multigrain waffles. We were out of cereal except for corn flakes. I attempted to be creative and began offering several choices at the bar thinking something would appeal to just one of the kids at least. I served up a cheese tortilla, some toast with honey, and offered corn flakes with honey. Everything that I pushed across the bar, one of my children pushed it back in my direction. One of crew was pretty clever for 6:15 in the morning and started saying as they pushed the food back across “Chicken feed.” After I heard “Chicken feed” a few more times, I gave up. I have no idea what they finally ate, but they lived and the chickens were happy, happy, happy that day. I went straight to the store after I dropped them off and stocked up on breakfast essentials. I was not going through another day of “Chicken feed.” Our “Chicken feed” morning reminded me of Daniel in the Bible. When he lived in Babylon, he refused to eat and the wonderful, rich fare the King offered to him. He also refused to fall down and worship the golden image like King Nebuchadnezzar ordered. He was intentional. When I studied the life of Daniel years ago, I was awestruck. The word INTENTIONAL was my word of the year and the word RESOLVE was a close second. Much like my children who refused my jumbled up melody for breakfast, Daniel refused to give in and was eventually rewarded for his amazing obedience to the Lord. Just thinking through it all again, I want to be more like Daniel. I want to refuse things I know are not good for me. I also want to refuse to let negative thoughts take over my mind. I want to live my life in a way that is worthy of the King because, like Daniel, I am a Child of the Most High God. What do you need to refuse this week and possibly push right back at the enemy? Be intentional, spend time in the Word, and keep this in mind from Romans 12:12 “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

No comments:

Post a Comment