Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, June 22, 2014

onions

I realized last night that my family had reached the next stage in life. I pulled up at the house from a party and hopped out of the truck. I was wearing some wedge shoes that had already proven to be difficult. I had no business going to close the chicken coop door in them for sure, but I set out on an adventure in the dark because I was too lazy to change shoes. Sure enough, I turned my foot on a rock in the driveway. Go figure… I hobbled back to the house to meet my boys who were unloading the truck. I was pleasantly surprised to have one of them meet me by the pick-up to take my purse and offer me a shoulder to lean on for support. I could not believe that he was taking care of me. I thought to myself how in just a short time period, our roles had reversed. I was no longer the strong one who could throw him on my hip and carry him around, but he was the solid one helping me. I thought as we walked in the house together arm in arm... we have reached “that” point of me being the old Momma in need of assistance. Do you ever feel like you are at “that” point with things in life? This can be positive, like a breakthrough, where things suddenly make sense. It can also be negative, like being one step away from totally going bonkers. (If that is even a word) I have reached “that” point this week with a few things. I realized that my heart is like an onion. (Stay with me here) I can allow layers and layers of junk to build up and maybe…just maybe, my heart is beating, but it is not okay anymore. Bitterness and unforgiveness can build up and eventually make a heart become hard. They can smother out anything good. When our hearts are not right, our thoughts and words are next in line to totally fail. From time to time, we have to ask God to help us peel away the layers of hurt and heal us. We may have to offer forgiveness even if we think we are right. When the layers are peeled away, we can love again like we should. I have reached a point too with the issue of trust. I realized last week that I was not very happy with the way a few situations have turned out. My dissatisfaction had caused me to temporarily forget to trust God. I know this because I was grumbling and complaining. I had taken my eyes off of Jesus Christ and allowed them to settle on the circumstances. I gave myself a pep talk, got in the Word, and reminded myself that Jesus is alive and well. He is working and involved, even when I cannot see the progress. I can trust Him because He has never let me down. If you are at “that” point with anything, lean on the Lord. In Psalm 94:18 David wrote “ If I should say my foot has slipped, Your lovingkindness, O LORD, will hold me up. When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul.” No need to grumble, complain, fall, or slip this week. Let the LORD hold you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment