Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, June 22, 2014

The FAIR

Nothing makes my crew want to jump out of a moving vehicle more than seeing the carnival rides move in at the fairgrounds. We circle around Fair Park grocery several times a day to watch the progress. We spend most of our time during the fair over by the lamb pens and this year by the rabbit barn, but it is the still the carnival that gets the adrenaline pumping for kids in Freestone County! When I think fair… I think dirt, Bon Jovi blaring on one corner of the fairgrounds competing with George Straight playing on a dusty, jam box over by the cattle barn. I think corn dogs, dunking booth, begging to spend the night or at least to stay out later. I think starched Rocky Mountain jeans and Justin boots newly purchased from a trip to Rodeo Western Wear in Jewett. I also sadly remember unloading heifers and knowing that I better hold onto the rope tight because I was probably going for a “ski” in the dirt when the trailer door opened. I remember the days and nights spent at the campsites. They were decorated in burlap, bandanna, and feed sacks. We lived at the Emmons camp in the swing and loved every minute of it. As an adult and parent of a 4-H kiddo or four to be exact, the fair is a bit different. I still see a vision of dirt, corn dogs, and the Emmons camp in my near future; however, add in bottled water, searching for shade, and praying my for kids in the show ring. As a child running and romping around all week, I never had a clue that there were many adults working year round to make the fair happen. I am so appreciative now of the many men and women who make it happen. I am thankful that every year I grow older and life sure does change (can you even buy Rocky Mountain jeans) but the county fair stays the same! It is something, like Christmas and the return of my purple martins every year in February, that I can count on. We all need that…knowing that along with the many unexpected things in life, there are things we still can expect. Along with my activities of the week and knowing I can count on a good time at the fair, I also know I can count on the Word of God to get me through everything in life. I was working with a group of Jr. High girls yesterday at church and tried with all of my heart and soul to get that through to them! There is no app for life on an iphone that will save you, friends will come and go, and People magazine does not have the answer! Every answer we need from finances to friendships, future plans to family issues can be found in the Word of God. I am ashamed to admit that I spend more time watching t.v. and on my phone killing time than I do in the Word. When I read the words of Jesus though, I am different. I have peace. Jesus said in Matthew 24:35 “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.” If your life is full of changes and passing by all too quickly, make sure you make time for the one and ONLY thing that will not pass away: the words of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment