Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, June 22, 2014

Prayers and Payton

I had confirmation today that my children do listen to me. Sunday is usually our treat day after church. By treat, I mean we stop by Rob’s Drive In, a favorite of mine since I was a kid and could ride my bike there and park it on the side. My kids are usually granted one “free choice” pass each and I grab whatever necessities I will need for the rest of the day. Today we ended up with some bean dip, Fritos, a canister of potato sticks, and a small container of ice cream. I was proud of my youngest when we got home and she sat down at the bar with her ice cream to study the label. She was delighted to let me know that her ice cream had three grams of protein in it. I preach protein and although she was way “off” to look up nutrients in ice cream, I was proud that she remembered that protein matters to Mom! Her grin was priceless when she announced the good news to me. It was like….Mom, I got it! I was able to explain to another kiddo this week about the power of prayer and I think he got it too. His name is Dalton. Dalton was genuinely concerned about his friend, Peyton Turner. Dalton told me that Peyton had an accident and was in the hospital. I asked him what we should do. He knew the answer and said we should pray. I could not agree more. The Lord quickly gave me a visual to share with Dalton. I drew a triangle with Jesus at the top. On one side of the triangle at the bottom, I drew a stick figure and told Dalton that was him and everyone else who was praying for “Pate.” On the other side of the triangle at the bottom, I drew another stick figure and labeled it Peyton. I wanted to show Dalton that his prayers were going up to the Lord and that they actually came back down the other side of the triangle and landed right on his friend. Like Dalton, most of the children today at church today requested prayer for Peyton and for his Mom, Kayla, who is also in the hospital. I could not help but think that we may be known here for peaches, Sam’s Restaurant, and Big Brown, but we are also known as a community who loves each other and who prays. I know that personally. When I had cancer, I went an entire summer and did not have to cook. Food was delivered here every few days. I received cards in the mail often and knew people were praying for me. I felt like even if I was losing my hair and was as sick as a dog from chemotherapy that I was in a bubble protected. This week please, I mean pretty please with a cherry on top, pray for someone in need. Put up the phone, turn off the television, and pray. Your relationship with the Lord will grow stronger because of it. Communicate with the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, and assume your role on one side of the triangle. Remember God is at the top and trust Him to take care of the person or situation on the other side. Even in hard times and when we do not like the outcome, He is at the TOP and has a plan. I am going to bed tonight holding onto this word from Philippians 4:6-8. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

No comments:

Post a Comment