Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, June 22, 2014

firsts

We had a week of “firsts” around here. My son for the first time ever decided to be a tray at school and buy a cafeteria meal. He has never, and I mean never, ever, wanted to mess with the line, the wait, and then the sometimes rush that comes with eating in the cafeteria when you end up sitting down last. I have told him for years that he should try it, especially because he is the main one in the family who likes real food. He is not really a sandwich kid. He is more of a gravy, mashed potatoes and chicken fried steak kind of fellow; therefore, I have always thought that a school tray might be just what he needed. I have suggested. He has said no. I have mentioned it. He has said no. It just took time….nearly 7 years to be exact before he took the plunge. When he came home and announced his big news to me, he was a happy camper and said he could not believe he had waited so long to try it. Our other first was that for the first time in 14 years, I found myself behind the wheel of a car. I started off when I had my first child in a Ford Explorer and graduated to a Suburban. My family grew big and grew quickly, so I have never downsized in the automobile department. That is…until now. We got a car to help with the rising, and staying high for some reason I might add, cost of gasoline. I sometimes make three or four trips back and forth to town in a day. I did not expect to like the car at all. I have been in a big SUV for so long that I just knew I would feel like I was tiny and cramped in a car. Much to my surprise, I love it. I can honestly say that I would never drive my big Suburban again if I did not have to. When we all go somewhere though or we need to pile a lot of junk in the back, we will still need the bigger ride. Friday morning when I made my school rounds and zipped in and out of parking spaces with ease, I thought….I can’t believe I waited so long to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment