Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Being REAL

I caught Charles Stanley this morning on television.  He is a pastor in Atlanta who preaches the Word of God simply and honestly without a fancy show.  Dr. Stanley gave examples from the Bible about how Jesus shared his whole life on earth.  He shared love, wisdom, his healing powers, food, truth, and etc.  Dr. Stanley suggested that if we are believers of Jesus, we better share too and especially share the greatest gift of all…Jesus…with others!   The simple concept challenged me.
I thought to myself that to share Jesus, I must be real!  Real is what we need as 2016 comes to and end and we welcome 2017.  Anything fake, pretentious, or hypocritical will not cut it.  I cannot “talk” Jesus and “preach” Jesus with good intentions to share Him if I do not at least attempt to “act” like Jesus.  Furthermore, I cannot pretend to walk the walk and talk the talk if what is in my heart is hateful.  I felt like the LORD told me this morning to BE REAL!  
Let me be real about a few things:
Our dogs do not eat human food; however, when we suffer a big spill, we eagerly invite them in to eat off of the floor and clean up the mess.  
I battle addictions. My brain chemicals do not know when to stop.  Currently, I am battling BUGLES.  Yes, the chips that look like little tornadoes. Considering my addictive personality though, I am ok with my current “fix.”  
I do not fold or put up my kids laundry.  What they do with it is their business.  I only deliver clean clothes in a big heap to their rooms.  
I cannot recall the last time I had a fruit or veggie.  (Embarrassing)
We left our outdoor Christmas lights up all year, and I absolutely loved just plugging them back in and instantly enjoying our house all lit up.
I fuss at my kids about time on their phones, but I spend too much time on mine as well.  I also detest some of their music choices and then I give in and allow things that are not “that bad.”  Technology drives me nuts!
When my daughter would not go to bed last night because she was fixing her Christmas lights in her room, I threatened to tear them all down.  Her response was “That’s harsh, Mom.”
My marriage takes work and raising my kids takes work.  We are not perfect!  Every member in this family, myself included, does and says things that we should not do and say.  Our actions are sometimes gracious and giving, but more often selfish and self-seeking.  
I need to clean up the dishes in my sink, my bedroom, and my finances.  There are always things in my life that are a mess!
I work at a library and love to read, but I am the only one in my home who reads for pleasure.  (Considering the fact that I taught reading and I am an English major…this is a tough confession.)
Maybe you have nothing at all in common with my list of “real things.”   Maybe we share a few commonalities.  My point here is that it is okay to be transparent and to share with others that you do not have it all together.  You do not have to be picture-perfect!   

No comments:

Post a Comment