Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Saturday, December 17, 2016

Runner's observations

The weather today seemed perfect, my house was in order, and my kids were behaving.  Because my ducks were all in a row, I decided to go for a run.  My goal was the Steward’s Mills Store.  My sister in law promised to meet me there in 45 minutes with water.  
I struggled.  I kept my mind occupied and focused on my surroundings.  I kept an eye on the road because of snakes.   I watched my step and let my mind wander.
I decided this week to share my observations from my five mile trek.  They were interesting enough to keep me going.  Maybe they will keep you going this week or at least provide you with some food for thought.
Observation #1:  The hills nearly did me in!  My legs and my arms were necessary to make it up them.  When I got to the top of one hill, I thought to myself…that took all I had.  Life has “hills” too.  Some of them we bring on ourselves because of our own stupid decisions and sin.  However, some hills are designed to make us stronger.  I can think of several times I have confronted a hill or a mini mountain and thought, I do not dare try to do this alone. In those times, I have called on the Lord and asked Him for help.  He has helped me get up, get over, or deal with whatever I was facing.  In those uphill battles, I have learned to depend on Jesus Christ. (Will you view the next hill differently?  Could it be a blessing?)
Observation #2:  There are things in the road, literally “IN” the road.  Occasionally embedded in the asphalt, there was a flattened can or a small piece of metal.   I concluded when the asphalt was laid, the stuff was there and became part of the road then, or maybe the random objects had been there so long and driven over so many times that were gradually pressed down into the road.   That made me think:  Do I allow words and labels from others, my own attitudes or opinions, and even my personal worries and doubts slowly push in and become part of me.  I realized I better be careful what I allow in, consciously or unconsciously.  (Is this why we need alone time with Jesus to check ourselves?)
Observation #3:  I was ready to quit when my sister in law drove up behind me.  I stumbled over to her car and asked for a drink.  I pointed to a yellow sign up ahead and told her to wait on me there.  When I made it to the sign, I asked her how much further the store was.  She said close.  Well, thanks to her and knowing that she was waiting on me, I made it!  This is so true in life as well.  Knowing we are not alone can be what keeps us going. (Do you need a Christian friend to encourage you?)
Observations #4:  I did not quit, but I sure was close. I wanted to give up, but I did not!  There are times in life that I do want to honestly give up.  I felt defeated in an area recently until I read John 14:27.  In it, Jesus commands “Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”  I wrote it over and over again…It became “MY WORD.”  (Do you need a “WORD” this week?  If so, open up your Bible!)
Observation #5:  I could not wait to tell my family that I made it to the store.  It was a big deal to me!  Well, Jesus is a big deal too.  I should be excited this week to tell others about Him.  (When it the last time you told someone about Jesus…share HIM this week and be blessed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment