Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Saturday, December 17, 2016

SNAKES

I am old fashioned.  I believe cell phones are ruining the workplace.  Unless your job description specifically states social media posting and online shopping, it is not appropriate to engage in those activities when you are being paid for something else.  I learned at Sam’s Restaurant back in high school that work meant work.  I am thankful for those lessons I learned while dipping butter and rolling silverware. 
I try to practice what I preach, so when our back to school campus meeting started last Monday, I silenced my phone and put it away. I wondered why even on silent mode, I could hear a vibrating sound.  I heard it over and over again during the meeting.  (I later learned how my phone’s behavior on silent mode could be corrected in settings.) 
I did glance and saw three missed calls from my husband and a text from my daughter that said “CALL ME NOW.”
I mentally performed an inventory of my children’s whereabouts.  My main concern was my fifteen year old son on the tractor shredding for my Dad.  I quietly got up from my seat and walked into the closest restroom to see what on earth was going on. 
My daughter answered her phone first.  She shared with me that both of the dogs had been bitten by a snake.  She followed up with a detailed report of how they seemed to be doing.  I inferred the dogs were both stable, suggested Benadryl, and promised to get home as soon as I could.
My Jack Russell looked like a lizard with a big neck, but was breathing okay and tolerating the pain.  (This was not Bub’s first round with a snake, but round #2...call him a professional.) 
Salty, on the other hand, was miserable.  I found her laying on my closet floor in the dark.  I forced her to stand up.  After a few more doses of Benadryl and shots, they were thankfully all right the next morning. 
I let Bubs out of his crate, but did not dare turn him loose.  I followed him outside with my coffee. 
Why?  He is a complete idiot and would have loved nothing more than to continue the battle with the snake. 
Yes, he would have gone right back and sparred again.  I do not claim to talk dog talk or be a dog whisperer, but I know my dog.  Determination and stupidity go hand in hand with him.  
I laughed as followed him out because he reminded me of ME.  I too have gone back to people, circumstances, and places for a second round knowing quite well that round one did me no good at all!  I have reacted to situations over and over again in the same manner, knowing I was going to get the same results again, and that they would not be good.
However, I do believe there comes a time when we have to respond differently to the same old thing and try something new!  Can I get an AMEN?  There is freedom when we see the same thing coming, recognize it is only going to harm us, and we choose a different path!
My goal this year is to choose a different path or the high road you might call it.  Psalm 119:1-2 in the Message Bible says “You’re blessed when you stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by God. You’re blessed when you follow his directions, doing your best to find him.”

Choose the path this week that will lead you to Jesus.   Avoid the paths, people, and even conversations that will only bring you misery.  You will be blessed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment