Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Saturday, December 17, 2016

Muddy EYES

Last night I was at the table all alone basking in the unusual peace and quiet. I actually was jotting down notes for a Bible Study I was about to attend.  And…my phone rang. 
I cringed when the voice on the other end say “Bird, we have a problem.”  My oldest son and his friends call me “Bird.”  I am not sure where my nickname came from, but I have accepted it because it could be  worse.   It is no mystery that I also love birds and talk to my purple martins, so “Bird” does seem somewhat fitting. 
I was fully alert when I heard the word PROBLEM and immediately hopped up from my chair ready to spring into action.  He went on to explain that they had been playing in the mud by the lake, actually in the mud by the creek.  He then mumbled something about getting a 4-wheeler stuck and pushing it out.  He finally got to the main idea and told me that Brazos could not see nor open his eyes because they were filled with mud. The medical team, consisting of two awesome mommas and three teenagers, gave it their best shot to clean out his eyes, but could not get the job done.
I did not panic because this was not Brazos’ first rodeo with mud in the eyes. Several years ago he participated in mud fight on the banks of Richland Chamber’s Lake and ended up in bad shape.  His Dad and his baseball coach/buddy laid him out in a bathtub and used a syringe for over an hour trying to get his eyes cleaned out. I vividly remember praying and holding down Brazos simultaneously. 
Brazos did not want to repeat that episode.  He asked me to take him to the doctor to get his eyes rinsed out properly.  The clinic was closed, so that meant the ER. 
We lead him in covered in mud from head to toe, barefoot, and half blind.  The ER doctor was able to numb his eyes with some drops, flip his eyelids, and flush out all of the mud in a matter of minutes.  We were on our way in no time with a prescription for antibiotic drops.  
I had to fight everything in me not to give the “I can’t believe you would do this again” speech during out quiet time at the ER. It was on the tip of my tongue, but I saved it for later and really just delivered a general safety speech to him. 
I was honestly just glad that he was okay.   That was all that mattered.  The consequence was that his fun day got cut short, and that was enough. 
I obviously gave Braz a second chance and helped him again in his time of need.  And…I will give him a third, fourth, fifth chance if need be because he is my child and I love him.  It is called unconditional love. I can love unconditionally because the Lord loves me unconditionally.  It is amazing!
Jesus could and should have given up on me a long time ago, but He never did.  He is the creator of second chances and the author of unconditional, unfailing love.  David covers this so well in Psalm 86:5-7. He wrote “You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call to you.  Hear my prayer, O LORD; listen to my cry for mercy.  In the day of my trouble I will call to you, for you will answer me.”
If you are in need of a second chance or whatever number you may be on by now, call on the Lord this week.  He is forgiving, good, and will answer you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment