Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Picking up PULLEYS

Thanksgiving vacation was wonderful. It was the perfect balance of family, friends, food, and gorgeous fall weather.  Keeping with tradition, I began the process of putting my tree up and decorating the house for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving.  After two days of Hallmark movies, coffee, and creativity that ran into the wee hours of the morning today, our house has been transformed into a spectacular display of Christmas.  I love it!  
This afternoon right in the middle of my tree trimming, I agreed to run an errand for my husband and oldest son.  They were on a mission to finish a pig trailer, but evidently had to have a pulley to move onto the next step.  Picking up the pulley seemed like the nice thing to do and pretty easy. All I had to do was go into Tractor Supply and head towards the back right corner.  My husband checked them out earlier in the week and had an idea of what they needed and where they were.  
I realized as I walked towards the back of the store that I did not even know what a pulley was.  I was clueless!  I turned right by the tires on the back isle and called home in hopes of reaching someone that could guide me in the right direction.  My hubby instructed me to circled back towards the bathrooms and look by the chains.  He sent me a picture so I would at least know what type of apparatus I was looking for.  The visual helped immensely.  I found the pulleys!
Fifteen minutes later I happily purchased two pulleys.  It took several pictures, texts, and phone calls back and forth in order for me to complete the sale.  I phoned home again when I got back on the road.  I was compelled to let the boys know how ridiculous it was to send me for the pulley without me having even the slightest clue what I was looking for.  
I proudly strutted back into the house though and handed over the bag.  I felt accomplished.   The thought occurred to me that the next few weeks leading up to Christmas, everyone will be doing a whole lot of looking.  
We will look for perfect gifts to give.  Kids will look under the tree and maybe in closets for hidden presents.  We will look for just the right ingredients to complete our recipes for school luncheons, office parties, and family gatherings.  We will look for bargains on our phones and in sales flyers that arrive in the mail.  We will look for cards and possibly invitations in our mailboxes.  If you are like me too, you will look for gifts that you hide because you forget where you hide them.  
When you are looking high and low for everything you want and need to make Christmas perfect, remember to look for Jesus. How absurd it would be to miss the whole meaning of the holidays.  I love the popular saying “Jesus in the reason for the season.”  
Luke 2:11-12 tells us where to look for the real meaning of Christmas.  The angel tells the shepherds, just like she is telling us today if we are willing to slow down and listen.  “Do not be afraid.  I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all of the people.  Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord. “
Make your list and check it twice, but make sure you keep Jesus first this Christmas.  Get in the Word and get out to share the Good News of Christ…the real meaning of Christmas.    

No comments:

Post a Comment