Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Saturday, December 17, 2016

School

Writers and students enrolled in upper level English classes know about word counts.  Well, I perform a word count weekly on my column to keep it at a consistent length.
However, I would hesitate to do a word count on the words spoken in our house.  There is so much that is said here on a weekly basis.  A whole lot of it is nonsense that I discard.   
Some of it sticks with me though.  Blaise, my youngest, is usually the one that says things that make me smile.  She is exposed to a lot, both good and bad.  She often messes up when she repeats what she has heard and puts her own spin on it.  She called someone a “Democratic” during a political discussion.  The best was when she saw a commercial for a YORK Pattie and asked her Daddy if he was craving a “YOKE” too? 
Last week, she tickled me when she scolded one of our dogs.  She noticed Salty gobbled her up food and then helped herself to Bubs’ leftovers.  Blaise marched right over and said “Salty, now you know better than that.”
The words “You know better than that” stuck with me.  I know school is about to start, and I know better than to let it get the best of me!  I love my job and my kids love school; however, it is a shock to our systems initially.  At the first of the school year, we all line up like cars at the starting line of a big race and rev up our engines. We hear ready, set, go, and take off.  (And burn rubber or black smoke as my boys would say)
Right about the time we finish the first lap or the first few weeks, I often start complaining about the early mornings, late nights, and homework.  I miss our lazy days of summer, even though I know I should not complain because there is so much to be thankful for. 
This year, I have a plan for this “race.” I am going to give thanks all the way until the finish line! My plan is to think of the many blessings I have every time I feel anxious or overloaded, because that will transform my mind! 
I know better than allowing worry to set it because I know the LORD. He always takes care of us.  I just have to remind myself of that when the uneasiness creeps in.
I picked up a composition notebook today.  I am going to start a family gratitude journal again. I will encourage all of the Monicos to write down a few blessings from each day.  We will not wait until November to give thanks.  We will start now.  (I did this a few years ago and it fizzled out.) 
We must be intentional about recognizing our blessings.  One of my favorite passages in the Bible is from Philippians 4:6-8.   It says “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” 
Intentionally giving thanks to God for all of the little things in life, that are not really so little at all, is a life strategy.  Join me this week.  What do you have to loose…worry, anxiety, negativity, exhaustion[BM1] , and etcetera.   I know better than to hang on to those things because I know Jesus Christ. We should all know better.  Make the 2016-2017 school year one of gratitude! 



No comments:

Post a Comment