Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Wednesday, December 14, 2016

LOVE

I may not sleep tonight!  We start Polar Express tomorrow in the library.  That is, unless we blow a breaker and short out half of the town.  My co-worker and I transformed the library into a real winter wonderland with lights galore.   The “train” will run for two weeks serving hot chocolate and tons of festive fun.  I hope it is both magical and meaningful for our little passengers.  
Today I witnessed some magic in a Hallmark movie.   (Yes, this will be a reoccurring theme until the holidays conclude.)  The couple standing at the Christmas tree farm was bundled up from head to toe and wrapped in layers of winter clothing.  It was snowing and obviously freezing outside, yet they stood out in the cold and talked forever.  There was no shivering or even mention of being chilly.   The lady’s hair remained beauty shop beautiful even though the snow was falling at a rate fast enough to make Frosty smile.  
I shared my observation with my daughter, who already thinks Hallmarks are ridiculously predictable and boring.  She rolled her eyes.  In movies, snow doesn’t ruin hair, trees are decorated perfectly, and families always get back together.  
For a brief moment this afternoon, my life seemed like a movie.  My husband cooked chili, we entertained extra friends for lunch, and my house was not clean, but beautifully decorated.  Right about the time I settled down with my coloring book and coffee, a ferocious fight broke out here.  (Names will be omitted for privacy.)
Evidently someone was saving a sliver of cookie cake.  Brother got accused of stealing it and eating it…a logical conclusion because he eats everything.  The cake, tray, cover, and knife all vanished into thin air.  Brother swore he did not eat the stupid cake.  Sister just knew he was lying.  (Big sisters do know everything, I happen to be one too.)  
I went to investigate the crime scene with a picture of the criminal already in mind.  My theory proved to be true.  Earlier in the day, I heard a suspicious sound from the scene of the crime and witnessed our Blue Heeler, Salty, exiting the area. She obviously scarfed down the cookie cake and was in fact…guilty.  Thank goodness it was her. I secretly worried about how long the family feud would continue if she was not the culprit, and I would have understandably been accused next.  
We are not picture perfect here.  We do not even attempt or pretend to be perfect.  We fight.  We argue.  We goof up.  However, we do love each other.   
I absolutely love my husband, my kids, and even my pets.  I have studied each of their personalities for years now.  I know their strengths and their weaknesses.  I nearly can predict when life will be easy breezy for each of them and when they will struggle.  We talk about everything.  That includes the good, the bad, and the ugly of the world and of our own lives.  
I pray even with our own flaws and imperfections that by the grace of God, my crew tries to imitate 1 Corinthians 13.  It says “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”  
Unless your family is miraculously perfect and you predict every holiday gathering you attend to be absolutely full of good cheer, you may want to tuck 1 Corinthians 13 away in your heart and keep it on your mind.
Love is patient, love is kind, and may I add that love is Jesus.  I pray you know Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment