Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Wednesday, December 14, 2016

David

This weekend I was blessed with some enjoyable alone time.  Although personality tests label me as a “people person”, I crave being by myself too.  I remember the first few times I found myself home alone after Blaise started kindergarten.  I was a nervous wreck.  I had no clue what to do.  Needless to say, I figured it out.  
When I am home alone now, I divide my time into two main categories. The first is picking up and preparing for what is next here on our agenda.  I live life in 24 hour increments, so my time may include simply packing up for our afternoon activities.  The second thing I do with my alone time is rest. Yes, I rest!  I love 22 minute naps.  I sip coffee in silence.  I learned the hard way how to do nothing.  
I literally felt my body turn toxic the year I was diagnosed with cancer.  I secretly attempted to prove who I was, was not, and what I could do.  I was on a merry go round with no escape.  When the oncologist announced I was cancer free, I vowed to intentionally rest. It makes me a much better wife and mom.
Last night, I was flying solo in a hotel room.  My daughter, 16 and independent, took off with her softball team to eat dinner.  I rested, worked out and then showered.  Instead of going out, I stayed in.  I fought the urge to do more.  I did less.
My new Bible was bothering me because nothing is dated or marked.  I started in Deuteronomy circling my favorite verses.  (If you would have told me years ago this was the way I would spend a Saturday night, I would have laughed at you.) I scooted through 1 and 2 Samuel highlighting things about David.  
The popular narrative of David and Goliath excited me like never before.  In 1 Samuel 17:32, David basically tells Saul that he will go and fight the giant.  Saul tells him no way because he is only a boy and that Goliath has been fighting since he was a boy.  
David said to Saul “Your servant has been keeping his father’s sheep. When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, I went after it, struck it, and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it, and killed it.”
My “WOW” moment came in the “WHY” David told Saul that he was equipped to take on the giant. You see, David had no formal training in “this” line of work.   He did not look like the type of guy you would want in your corner if a fight broke out.  
On the contrary, David’s time was spent working where the Lord had placed him.  He had been tending to the sheep and fighting off predators.  That got me! He was prepared for the giant because of his everyday life experiences and obedience.  Is it possible that changing the diapers, checking the gauges, or studying for the test could be preparing you to fight your giants? I think so.  
Dear Child of God, you are being equipped for life’s greatest battles when you ordinarily live life in fellowship with the LORD, no matter what you are doing.  No matter how big or little your daily tasks may seem, they matter.  You matter.  Your life matters.
David slayed Goliath and was perfectly prepared for the task because he had tended sheep.  God has a plan for your life too.   He is preparing you for the giants.  Starting today, do life with Him.      

No comments:

Post a Comment