Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

Bed, Bath, & Beyond


Christmas gifting for four teens challenged my finances and creativity this year.  They asked for clothes and shopped for themselves.  Our daily conversations in December were centered on their latest discoveries, and if I would grant permission to purchase.  My oldest helped on Cyber Monday with electronics.  Little sister was happy! 
We intentionally shopped local too.  Visiting from shop to shop blessed me!  There is something to be said about a small town. One merchant reminded me to not to just take up a pew on Sundays, but do something!  I needed her words of wisdom.  While marking items off of my list, I laughed with old friends, new friends, and joyfully spent money here at home with “my people.” 
My dentist practices in Dallas; therefore, I traditionally schedule a morning appointment before Christmas and make a fast dash around the metroplex.  Now, that day shopping wore me slap out!  I made friends standing in line, but the crowds and traffic made me feel more frazzled than peaceful!
With coupon in hand, I ventured into Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  The creative side of my brain inspired me to redecorate my boy’s room.  Sadly, their beds are usually covered with very faded, tattered, and worn cowboy quilts my cousin gave us when we moved in here over ten years ago.  I have tried to replace them!  I purchased camo comforters once.  Before they “broke” them in, one ended up at the deer lease and the other remains in the back of our hall closet. 
Thankfully, I found matching gray bedding for them!  I also bought my nephew his traditional “annoy my brother” gift, a toilet paper gun.  Bed, Bath, and Beyond could easily be called “Random.”  Everything in the store is random if you ask me, but the coupon hooked me, and I nearly bought an Uggs sweater for my dog.
One night before Christmas, I snuck into the boy’s room.  I cleaned and revamped their beds. Everything looked awesome!  I experienced Christmas cheer in giving them an unexpected gift, and hoped my efforts would also encourage them to keep their room cleaner. 
Much to my dismay, the new comforters were stripped off in only a day or two and the old cowboy quilts were back on their beds!  Why?  I washed everything, but it was not enough!  My boys liked the “look “and thanked me for the gift of cleanliness; however, the bedding was not soft enough, worn in enough, and as warm as their antique quilts.  (My plan is to wash, dry, and repeat until their desired softness is achieved, but I have ten plus years of wear and tear to compete with.) 
Our small and insignificant Christmas bedspread dilemma made the think about holding onto stuff, habits, or even relationships that provide comfort.  I asked myself “good or bad?”
 I confess to still wearing an Oxford sweatshirt from England I bought 27 years ago, no clue why I still have it or how it held up?
Hold onto or let go is a very complicated issue.  Psalm 139:23 comes to mind.  It says “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my concerns. See if there is any offensive way in me; lead me in the way everlasting.” 
This entire chapter in Psalms never ceases to amaze me, but this week it showed up in a different way.  The Word of God always meets us where we are!  If you wonder this week if you should hold on or let go, mediate on this passage and be blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment