Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

My cleaning routines...BAD!


The guests who frequent our house these days will laugh at this statement, might fall in the floor, or flat out call me a liar! I was once an obsessive housekeeper.  When we lived in Dallas, Thursday meant cleaning day.  Our house looked absolutely precious and spotless at all times!  Now, the closets were stuffed full and cabinets were never in excellent order, but everything looked fabulous!
I must confess though, my obsession caused my first motherhood fail.   My oldest rolled out of a chair when she was only a month old; when I ran to the back of the house to get my “Swifter” mop. Oh, I cried and cried!  I questioned my ability to parent; however, parenting was not the real issue. The real problem stemmed from my tidy house obsession.
When we moved to the country, I miraculously kept up the pace!  It took the dust a year or so to settle down, although my husband quickly planted grass seed.  He watered and nurtured it day after day, year after year. Thanks to him, eventually the dirt subsided and the Bermuda took over.
However, kids romping meant there was always a thin layer of grime. So, I dusted, cleaned, hired help, and went through two robot vacuum cleaners in no time at all. When we were outside or not home, my robot friend was working.  Sadly, Roomba was a new invention at the time and not durable enough for the workload she battled here. I gave up and went back to my traditional vacuum, because the show had to go on!   
What happened?  Something sure did!  One of my daughter’s friends recently asked if I even owned a vacuum.  I can go to bed with dishes in my sink and leave for an entire weekend without my chores complete.  The change was gradual…one woman in particular shared her housework battle with us in a Bible Study. She called it a spiritual stronghold.  From studying Beth Moore’s “Breaking Free,” I knew that meant big business.  She also had a large family.  The Lord revealed to her that her attitude/obsession with her house was sin. Her words woke me up!  
Khris Roller opened my eyes to my own priority problem, and then cancer kept them wide open.  I never viewed laundry again as an immediate need. I learned it could wait if there was someone who needed my attention.  The Lord healed me of cancer, but also of much more during that season of life. Sadly, I have forgotten some of the lessons I learned, allowed junk to creep back in.  Life sure is a process and a daily battle of obedience and staying in the Word. 
Where am I going with this “Good Housekeeping” saga? Well, I broke down for my birthday and ordered a new robot vacuum!  After hours of research and using my parent’s robot for a trial run, I proudly submitted my online purchase.  I love my new friend.
Now, do not get me wrong! Dishes are currently overflowing from my sink and my windows are a travesty. My only obsession for at least the next four years around here will be my family!  However, my robot vacuum is truly awesome! 
You might say I came full circle with this deal and learned lots of lessons along the way.  Life is all about successes and failures, tests and testimonies, messes and messages.  Thankfully, we are never alone.   We can walk and talk with Jesus every step of the way.   Psalm 118:14 says “The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.”  Have a blessed week and remember the Lord is with you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment