Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

Old one!


As usual, it is Sunday afternoon and I just sat down to begin my column.  Writing helps me conclude my week and get ready for the next one.  You might say I wrap up my thoughts as I type.  Writing serves as my therapy. I discovered it in fourth grade.  Spending time on Sundays here at my laptop is such a treat. 
Sundays are not all “rainbows and unicorns” though.  They can be difficult.  Today proved to be just that!  Someone explain to me how the Monico children are never tardy to school, but on Sundays we struggle to get out of the door on time for church.  The answer is simple:  spiritual warfare.  The enemy would love for us to give up on church, family time, and everything else good that can happen on Sundays. 
I woke up today and thought…what a beautiful Sunday.  The cooler air seems to have pushed out the humidity. Thank goodness! Everything is green, and the birds are singing. 
Looking out of our front window towards the lake, I just witnessed a lovely sight too unfolding right before my eyes.  Three Monicos were outside walking their lambs together.  They took turns letting one lamb go so it could run across the lake dam and meet the others.  At first, I thought one lamb broke loose, but then I realized they were working as a team to get the job done.  How great life is when we work together!  (No, it does not always happen here with any of us.)
Yesterday my hubby and I spent the day in Dallas shopping for a new car.  He researched all week and was ready to deal before we ever stepped foot into the first dealership.  We decided on a Honda again.  The process could have been easy, should have been easy; however, it took the entire day and four dealerships before we were satisfied on our end. 
I kept on thinking as we traveled from one Honda place to another Honda place …why can’t these Honda people just work together?   I drew the conclusion at one point, suffering from pure exhaustion, that if they worked together more and competed less, they might sell more cars.  I mean…a Honda is a Honda.  What is the big deal?  Evidently it is a big deal because we got a much better price at the last place.
My conclusion that Honda dealerships ought to work together and that the Monico kids sure do get more done when they work together relates to other things too.  Churches, schools, businesses, organizations, and etc. all need to compete less and support each other more.
I was blessed today to visit my former church to speak to a group of Seniors at lunch.  I felt totally at peace to gather with my brothers and sisters for the lunch hour, even though I spent the morning in another church across town.  No matter church we attend, you might say…we are all selling the same thing, and it is Jesus!  There is no need for competition among churches, but a huge need to share the love of Jesus Christ.
Schools are all selling education.  We need not compete!  Service organizations “sell” compassion and service; therefore, there is no room for rivalry. 
Sounds good, but working together has always been hard.  In Philippians 2:3-4, Paul wrote “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.  Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” 
This week strive to work together, look out for others, and love others.  You will be BLESSED.

No comments:

Post a Comment