Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

catching up!


I have lots of stuff on my mind today.  Thankfully, my mind has room to have “something” on it.  My college daughter suckered me into editing two of her essays that were due sooner than later and worth a major part of her grade.  Her God-given talents lie in speaking and not writing; therefore, my evenings have been consumed with editing.  Coincidentally, today is her nineteenth birthday. 
Other than keeping my brain busy with grammar, it has been quite blah!  Maybe… I am in a mid-forties slump.  It could be the “need to shop for Christmas-but don’t have any extra money slump.”   However, my slump is most likely though due to a personal pity party that has resulted from my own sin and not always adjusting well to this season of life.  Several factors usually contribute to where we find ourselves, if we are honest.  Most of life is spent saying we are good, when we are really not good.   
Today I said “I am good” and really meant it.  My “good” began with a decent night’s rest.  Teenagers mess up my weekend sleep patterns.  Sadly, weekend sleep patterns often lead to weekday tiredness and naps. 
This morning, I decided I was going to church and by school to get ready for “The Polar Express” before I even got out of bed.  I cooked a massive amount of breakfast and slid out alone.  I left four girls sleeping and a crew of boys, my two included, out in the woods hunting.  A call from the birthday girl nearly made me sad because I was not going to see her, but I persevered.  I drove on!  
Church began with the lighting of the first advent candle, representing hope, by one of my favorite families.  I felt sorry for myself because I was alone.  There was a little boy in his shorts and boots sitting right in front of me.  He reached up to grab his mom’s hand.  She reached down to grasp his hand, but that was not enough for him.  He then reached up with both of his arms signaling for her to hold him.  She did.  He was finally satisfied when he was in her arms and with his spare hand holding onto his dad’s shirt sleeve.  I felt the tears coming!  My boys now pick me up.  Time is fleeting!  I cleaned my glasses and controlled myself.  (Am I the only one who battles this stuff or has the courage to share it?)
I then heard a familiar, soft cough in the back of the sanctuary.  Her cough, her voice has always brought me comfort.  I smiled.  I looked up and focused on the beautiful Christmas tree I have loved since I was a little girl. God has a way of always bringing us peace and joy! 
The children’s choir sang. I loved watching my little friends.  One in particular means the world to me.  His mom is battling cancer, but smiles and sings, trusts, proclaims the Good News!   Children are so heartwarming and full of hope!  We should be more like kids. 
I thought about how I was greeted at the door by one of my Dad’s friends.  I felt loved.  The funny thing though is that the love I felt this morning was not just possible at this “one” church.  I could have gone to another one, or two, or even three or four around town. 
Why is this true?  Churches bicker just like schools, homes, businesses, and councils.   Matthew 18:20 offers us a truth though.  It says “For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there in their midst.” 
Gather this month.  Gather and be encouraged.  We all need it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment