Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

truck full of junk!


The Monico crew is beginning round two of baseball and softball this week.  Sadly, both of my high school players are finished.  I mourned the end of their seasons and caught myself thinking…what now?  Even though my daughter will play softball for most of the summer and my son will individually work here on his baseball skills, there is nothing like supporting your kids and their high school teammates. 
Round two begins for us officially though because the younger two Monicos play their first games this week.  There has been some fierce instruction the past few days in the backyard.  Luckily, my only job is to fetch stray balls.  The dogs and I stay busy trying to keep up with Blaise and her pitching. 
Yesterday, I had a date with just Bosque and Blaise.  We spent the afternoon in Dallas getting Bosque outfitted and ready for the year.  It was a quick, successful, and expensive trip to his favorite store, Dick’s Sporting Goods.  We made a pit stop at Starbucks on the way home, so my day was complete! 
At one point when we were barreling south down I-45, we came upon a pick-up truck packed completely full of mattresses and boxes.  The truck bed was jam-packed and moving slowly with its hazards on.  A smaller car followed closely behind it with its hazards on as well. 
I thought to myself, as we zoomed past them, that I sure was glad they were cautiously creeping along, because if they lost their load, it would be a mess!  The construction along I-45 is already is a fiasco.  I cannot even imagine what kind of a delay travelers might face with mattresses and home goods everywhere.
The thought occurred to me as we passed the truck that we all move slower when we are bogged down.  Carrying a heavy load always means more labored movement.  That is true for vehicles and it is true for us.  In Psalm 38:4 David says “For my iniquities are gone over my head; As a heavy burden they weigh too much for me.” 
Sin always makes me feel YUCK!  It zaps my energy, creativity, and joy.  I move slower and think slower when I get myself in a bind.  I feel weighed down and like I am carrying a heavier load than normal when I am out of fellowship with the LORD and living in disobedience.  I also feel alone!
Luckily, the truck had another vehicle traveling right behind it.  The driver of that car had two jobs I assume.  The first job was to operate her own car.  Her second job was to watch the load that was in front of her and make sure that it did not shift or start to move.  The shifting of just one box could have been disastrous.  It was important that everything remained strapped on stayed put. 
That is NOT true for us and sin.  We need NOT keep old junk strapped on and carry it around like a heavy burden.  Sin does not need to stay put!  Sin needs to go!  
Psalm 38 gets worse as it goes on.  David is violently troubled by his own sin, but cries out to the LORD at the end.  Verse 21 and 22 say “LORD, do not forsake me; do not be far from me, my God.  Come quickly to help me, my Lord and my Savior.” 
Just like David, we can ask the LORD to help us this week.  Call out to your Lord and Savior. Forgiveness begins with Him.  Why carry such a load? 

No comments:

Post a Comment