Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

Polar Express 2018


I witness a lot at school.   Trust me, I am not the only one!  Most educators silently dream of writing a book about their daily escapades and retiring early from the earnings on their own bestseller.  Teachers mentally store sentimental stories, silly stories, and outrageous stories that no one outside of education would even begin to fathom.  We file them all deep inside of our minds, but really deep inside of our hearts.   
My funny tales outnumber too many to even recall.  I vividly remember the time a kindergarten student brought her teacher a “scratch-off lottery ticket” and asked if she could cash it in and put the money on her lunch account.   It was a winner!   She got her lunch money. 
A fellow co-worker recently announced over the loud speaker to our precious janitorial helper that we needed a clean-up in the boy’s bathroom.   Her initial request was acceptable, but then she went on to say “There is number 2 all over it, and I know you are busy-but please hurry.”  Only educators can truly appreciate this type of a mess. 
Truthfully, educators often get delirious.  It is not just the kids that are challenging.  It is more often the paperwork, test scores, and meetings that get us.  The best times of my life have been in a hallway when the adults get totally childlike, ecstatic, and just let go.  I’ve seen grown men and women dance, cheer, sing, and totally let loose before ten o’clock in the morning when it will benefit their students.  There is no other profession like education. I love it!
My best times of my life as a teacher have also been quite serious, sad, and somber. A few kids have asked to come and live with me.  One in particular is now in his twenties and sadly still dealing with many of the same challenges he had in third grade.  He knows I love him.  I pray for him.  He loves me too.  
My Mesquite students stay in touch with social media.  They taught me way more than I ever taught them.  I once wanted a counseling degree, but teachers are natural counselors for sure with the help of the LORD. I have humbly been the go-to with big issues like divorce, death, and extreme disappointment. 
Having no money to shop at the book fair or not having a parent present for specials events at school also top my list of counseling experiences.  I will say that hugs are miracle workers.  Let’s all smile for 30 seconds and see what happens is also a wonderful “go-to” that always guarantees laughter and happiness. 
“The Polar Express” reminded me the past two weeks that children are amazing and often will teach adults more than we can teach them.  The library at my elementary school hosts a major, traditional, experience.  It includes an imaginary train ride, lights, decorations, hot chocolate, Christmas cookies, dancing, singing, and much more. Our favorite songs are Rudolf and Jingle Bells.  Everyone gets up and active.  I lost weight because of the extreme cardio. 
What captivated me last week was “HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JESUS.”  I witnessed with class after class the same thing.  Kids instantly joined arms, stood up without prompting, and even requested for me to play that song again. 
My conclusion is of this phenomenon is that even with Amazon, the hustle, bustle, and obvious excitement over the coming of Santa and his reindeer, that Jesus still means the most!


No comments:

Post a Comment