Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

Dodge pick-ups


This is an old journal entry I found from 2012.  It proves to be very significant now that Brazos has his driving permit and will get his license next year.
Brazos just turned 11.  He loves George Jones, Tom T. Hall, and his Dad's old pick-ups. The green Dodge is a 1990 model. Braz has big plans to drive it to high school. He said this week that he will never sell his Dad's old trucks. He even went so far as to say that HIS kids better not sell them! He wants the trucks to be here forever. "Can I take them to heaven, Mom?" he asked me yesterday.

I had to break it to him that he can't take anything to heaven. Then I changed my anything to...there is one thing we CAN take with us to heaven I believe: the people we have told about Jesus. We can take them.

When we share the love of Jesus with others and they too invite Him into their hearts, we are in a way taking them with us to heaven. Our relationships with people are the only thing that really will outlast this earth.

John 15:16 says "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit- fruit that will last."

Share something with someone today that will last! A smile, a word of encouragement, a verse, an invitation to a CHRISTmas celebration, an apology, a second chance, a bit of your time to show you care. Show someone Jesus today. Be Jesus today to someone! That is guaranteed to last!

Oh, and if God is making a room in heaven right now for my son, I believe it will be full of old pick-ups; however, the trucks will MEET Brazos there. He will not take them with him!
It is now 2017 and a lot has changed around here.  I have changed a lot, some positive and some negative if I am completely honest.  My kids have grown up.  They are bigger and stronger than me, both physically and mentally in some areas. 
One of the things that has remained the same is how Brazos loves his Dad’s old Dodge.  When he gets his license in the Fall, the green Dodge will be his first vehicle.  We run our errands in it now.  I used to drive him around.  Now…he drives me.
I still remind him and my other kids about the truths I wrote many years ago in this journal entry.  We are active and more in the community than ever.  Just for old time’s sake, I will repeat them again.
Share something with someone today that will last! A smile, a word of encouragement, a verse, an invitation to a CHRISTmas celebration or a church service, an apology, a second chance, a bit of your time to show you care. Show someone Jesus today. Be Jesus today to someone! That is guaranteed to last! 
I pray this week that we all will bear fruit that will last and show someone else the LOVE of Jesus Christ.  Time sure is passing quickly…be blessed this week and be a blessing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment