Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

Christmas 2018


If you find yourself in need of a conversation starter during this holiday season and lack the necessary creative juices to come up with one - just roll with “What are your holiday traditions?”  This question typically opens up a whole can of worms! 
It brings to mind what customs we grew up with, what we do now, and what we would love to do in our own homes and circles in the future.  I personally have always liked the idea of hiding a pickle in the tree.  Whoever finds the pickle ornament gets a prize.  I honestly have no clue where I even heard this one and never have managed to implement it.  Perhaps next year? 
Years ago, a dear woman in town introduced many of us to the “Jesse Tree” experience.  I am forever grateful that she shared it.  When my kids were younger and life here was absolutely crazy, our “Jesse Tree” devotionals and daily ornaments kept us grounded and focused on Jesus Christ during the hustle and bustle of Christmas.
So, what are our traditions?  We gather here on Christmas Eve afternoon to dip pretzels and sugar cookies in white chocolate and adorn them with an abundance of colorful, sugary sprinkles.  
On Christmas Day, we bake a cake or find something to put a candle in and sing “Happy Birthday” to Jesus.  The chaos here has calmed way down over the years.  There are no toys to assemble.  Nevertheless, Santa continues to enjoy our cookies and milk.  There are still six stockings proudly hanging and waiting for him to arrive and stuff full of treats. 
Our Pastor asked me to do the children’s message today. My topic was Christmas and what I love about it.  Some of my favorites were planned, but some were totally spontaneous. 
I was caught off guard right before my turn when a precious family lit the Second Advent candle.  The baby of the bunch was ready to protest.  She was absolutely beautiful in her red dress, but appeared bored and agitated with all of the shenanigans.  Her Dad delivered his message about the candle.  Then, big sister helped him light it, while big brother looked on quietly.  I wondered what was next.  I have never been “THE” family lighting the advent candle, but I have been in the spotlight many times and outnumbered by children.  Baby girl began to fuss, squirm, and let her presence be known!  
The most amazing thing happened though right in front of all of our eyes. When her Mom stepped up to the mic with her on her hip and began to pray, she was silent and totally content.  I know that the Word of God is life and death.  It can transform any situation- but I saw it today again.  I peeked during the prayer to see if they had shoved a bottle or pacifier into her mouth.  There was nothing!  The Word of God calmed and made her totally content.  It was a beautiful testimony of Christmas and Jesus.  It caught me off guard; therefore, I referenced it in the children’s message. 
The choir sang “Blessings” by Laura Story.  The lyrics include this “What if Your healing comes through tears, what if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You’re near.  What is if trials of this life are your mercies in desquise.


No comments:

Post a Comment