Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

Major Dog FIGHT


Because deer season has arrived, last night I settled in with my girls and planned on watching a movie.  After scanning the multitude of Direct TV channels we pay a high price for and finding nothing, they moved the Netflix box into the living room.  My plan was to watch one of “their” series.  Kids these days do not binge on cookies and cream ice cream or cheese dip like we did back in the day.  They binge on Netflix, sometimes watching an entire series in only a day or two. 
A dog fight broke out right before we selected our series for the evening.  Sadly, about every two months, our Blue Heeler jumps on our lab.  Belle is the Monico matriarch, our elderly lab. These two cuddle up to happily nap together often, and then Salty attacks her next for no reason at all. 
Nature would call Salty the “Alpha Dog.” Whatever you want to call it - it is heartbreaking; and I am incapable of breaking them up.  What really stinks is that our Jack Russell joins in and surprisingly fights Belle too.
My brother in law is a trivia guy.  He informed me that dogs will always jump in and attack the weaker dog.  It makes no sense to me.  Bubs and Belle are close. Why on earth would he attack her, not defend her?    
Last night’s brawl ended with a bang, literally a bang.  I sprinted to the carport door to yell at my girls for help. I also grabbed a broom to beat Salty, the aggressor, with.  My girls were nowhere to be found.  I yelled like a maniac, but thought they abandoned me. 
Right about that time, I heard the backdoor slam and then a gunshot.  Blaise remembered her Dad’s advice to shoot a gun if they dogs were fighting.  Banner, the oldest sister, grabbed a pistol and ran out of the house firing.  The dogs scattered. I thought I was dead.  My girls were very proud that they saved the day. 
We never started a series, but laughed for a while. I finally caught my breath and surveyed the damage.  Belle and Bubs were beaten up.  My pinky finger got bit too.  I know better than to reach in the middle and pry three dogs apart, but I do every time
I hate it.  My reaction is always the same…I want to make the pain stop!  In life, I want to make things stop too.  When life challenges me, the people I love are hurting, fighting, I feel afraid, or even get a bind-I want to call cease fire. 
Psalm 56:3 says “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”  I need to remember that I cannot control much, but that the LORD can control everything.  The real battle is trust.  My trust must be in Jesus Christ.  We must all remember that this week.   There is no stop button in life- for me or for you, but we all have Jesus. 
Back to the horrible dog fight…When we talk, gossip, add in our two cents worth, or judge others- we in a way jump in and attack the weaker one.  Humans, when walking in the flesh, are no better than dogs!   It just makes no sense, and we all need help!  
Proverbs offers many suggestions about getting along.  One of my favorites is Proverbs 15:18.  It says “A hot-tempered person stirs up conflict, but the one who is patient calms a quarrel.” 
Strive this week to calm the quarrel.  Strive this week to operate in love and trust, knowing Jesus is by your side.  That is my goal.  Make it yours too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment