Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

BERRIES in Texas


Last night I did a good deed, not that I am bragging or anything!   I walked over and turned off the water on the berries for my hubby. I still had on my shoes and there was no reason not to lend a helping hand. I also absolutely love making, baking, and especially eating fresh berry cobbler.  Hopefully, I earned a nice batch of berries on down the road. 
When I reached the water faucet, I utilized one of the greatest lessons my Dad ever taught me.  “Righty, tighty, lefty loosey.”  The practical tip comes in handy on nearly a daily basis. 
My Dad also taught me how to drive a golf cart at some point during my childhood.  One night I must have begged to park it in the garage. I say begged because I cannot imagine him intentionally asking me to do such a thing.  I do not remember the details, but I do recall what happened when I ever so gently crashed the golf cart into the garage wall.  It just so happened that the point of impact was at the water faucet, and water went everywhere. 
When you first learn a new skill, it is natural to want to do it all of the time. In this case, I probably only knew the basics of driving and took it “one notch too far.”  (Oh, I wish I could say that my driving record improved, but I would be lying.)
This one “One notch too far” concept is one that I notice often in life and especially with my family.  One of my children is a natural leader, but one notch too far makes her bossy and controlling.  At a young age, one of my boys was an analytical, deep thinker.  However, anxiety took over when he could not keep his thinking balanced and turn it off.  One of my crew is laid back; however, laid back can lazy when it is not managed and goes one notch too far. 
I battle several of these issues too.  If you look up “peacemaker” in the dictionary, you might find a picture of me there smiling and wearing a glorious halo.  That makes me sound so spiritual and wonderful, right?  I often quote Matthew 5:9.  It says “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Children of God.” 
Could the trait I proudly embrace ever be negative?  The sad truth is that being a peacemaker and allowing it to go one notch too far turned me into a people pleaser, and being a people pleaser is horrible.  It is a never ending pursuit, because pleasing everyone is impossible.  It is also rooted in insecurity!  (Gosh, I sure did hang up my own spiritual halo quickly.)
I hold no degree in theology or philosophy, but perhaps our greatest God-given strength, intended for good and Kingdom work can be our downfall.  If pushed one notch too far by the Enemy or by our own selfish pursuits, our flesh takes over.  What a waste!
It has been a gradual process to get my people pleasing tendencies back on the right track.  I constantly have to keep myself in check with the help of the Lord.  Romans 8:6 says “The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.” 
Our minds are constantly at war.  The war rages to pull us from a life controlled by the Spirit to a life controlled by our own desires and inclinations.  Be aware this week of your “One notch too far” tendencies.  A relationship with Jesus is the only hope for balance! Seek Him and be blessed! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment