Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

Pioneer Woman


We have several ongoing battles here in the Monico household at all times.   Chances are, if you live under the same roof with more than one person, you feel my pain and also juggle personalities, preferences, hormones, and moods.  Getting along takes work!  Anyone who says differently is a liar or in denial. 
One of our weekend battles is over what my husband watches on television in the early morning hours when I am still trying to sleep. I gladly assume the night watch and typically stay up until all of the Monicos are home safe and sound.  Because of my early mornings spent in the recliner monitoring locations on my phone and reminding kids about curfews, I sleep in on Saturday and Sunday.  I was once a morning person.  That changed when my firstborn started driving.   
My hubby somehow stays on schedule.  His internal alarm clock goes off by 6, and he is up!  He gets his favorite coffee cup, fills it up, and then comes back to bed to watch the food channel or a hunting show.  He is an excellent cook and always in search of new recipes. I like some of his shows, but am not a fan of Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman. 
Please forgive my negativity, but she irks me.  Her “lodge” is always perfect and her kids behave.  Her Jack Russell never runs off and eats chickens or goats for entertainment.  She effortlessly throws together elaborate parties and adores Lad- her perfect, cowboy husband at all times! 
My closest circle of friends can attest to my Ree issues.  I sometimes pretend to be her and send them phone recorded videos about my pitiful leftovers, crazy dogs, and disobedient kids here at the Monico “lodge.” 
Even in Abilene last Sunday when I woke up later than usual, I heard Ree.  My hubby went down to breakfast without me.  I felt right at home though because I caught her familiar voice blaring from the television.  I didn’t grab my glasses. I knew even without looking she was wearing a colorful blouse, smiling, and cooking. 
Today proved to be no different.  I set the alarm for church, but made the wrong decision and continued to hit snooze.  When I finally woke up, I heard Ree as usual and hubby was nowhere to be found. 
She was cooking comfort food though and actually caught my attention.  I woke up!   Her version of comfort food was chicken and dumplings, with cinnamon toast.   I love both!  My Mammaw made the most delicious chicken and dumplings ever.  My Dad taught me to make cinnamon toast.  I love butter and sugar. Thank God, my metabolism is fast enough to deal with both.  If not, I would be in trouble. 
Ree got me thinking about comfort food and “comfort” in general.  We all crave relief and ease.  Maybe comfort comes with certain foods, blankets, perfectly worn sweatshirts, positive people, or even  routines that seem reassuring because they are the norm. 
However, comfort “things” can also be negative!  I was convicted this morning that my comforts have recently not been good for me or pleasing to God.   I have been looking for wellbeing in all the wrong places.  We all have our “go-to” places and things that make us feel good.  The Lord reminded me today that I need to go to Him and only to Him. 
Matthew 11:28 says “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” This verse gives Believers ultimate comfort and perfect rest in Jesus!  Join me this week and honestly, wholeheartedly go to Jesus for all of your comfort and security.   

No comments:

Post a Comment