Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

My birthday


I strongly suspect we all have a public and a somewhat private life.  Our public life comprises of how we behave when we work, attend events around town, and run errands.  Privately too, we all have our own dislikes, likes, hobbies, and things that nobody has a clue about or really cares about.
For example, I love sunshine.  It makes me smile.  It surprises me that I lived in England for nine months.  It is gray – much like Seattle.  I walked to and from school.  My afternoon cup of hot tea was the best. I missed my Texas sunshine, but enjoyed being fully submerged in another culture and scurrying around London. 
I also love purple martins.  A few scouts showed up this week.  I talked to them.  I am a full-blown “bird nerd.”  Nobody may care, but it fits where I am going with my column this week.
Likewise, only a few people know that I am not a fan of my birthday.  It was last week.  I turned forty-six.  Never have I been able to put my finger on the exact source of my mood or my disapproval.
My kids know, and they often avoid me.  Luckily, I do know it has nothing to do with my age. I feel better in my mid-forties than I did in my mid-twenties.  Age has served me well!  The lessons I learned along the way have served me well too. I am who I am. The way I see the world and treat the world is a direct result of my experiences here on earth. I am thankful!
My birthday, February 15th, this year was remarkably different.  Celebrations began on Valentine’s Day.  Before 8:00 that morning, I knew something was up!  Kids coming down the hallway were saying “Happy Birthday.”  I got the most sincere hugs and smiles ever.
When an entire Pre-K class paused in front of the library and sang to me, I knew it was public knowledge!  Mrs. Ransom announces birthdays in the morning meeting.  Since we were out of school on my actual birthday, Thursday was my day!
Shockingly, I was happy about my special day, although it was still one day away. Each and every student who wished me “Happy Birthday” changed the way I felt about my often “melancholy” day. 
When my oldest came home from college on Friday at noon, she was surprised to find me in good spirits. I embraced my gifts and even “milked” my day the whole weekend.  I got laundry out of my kids, dishes, trash, and even a few errands by claiming it was my birthday!   
Remarkably too, my day was sunny.  I spent the entire afternoon in shorts and a tank top on my back porch.  Who would think that February 15th could be so warm?  I sat in the sun and smiled, thinking God warmed up the earth just for me.  Is that possible?  I think so.
I vividly remember the first time my husband and I had three sporting events to attend at the same time, in different locations.  One remarkably got canceled.  I knew that was just for us!  We were not accustomed yet to missing anything with our crew.
Hebrews 13:5 says “I will never leave you, nor forsake you.”  That promise is true!  It amazingly includes an all-encompassing love that encompasses the big stuff and the little stuff in life, our public and our private!   It is precious!  Embrace it.  Rest in it this week.   Know you are loved and known fully by the King of Kings, the Lord or Lords. 


No comments:

Post a Comment