Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, January 10, 2020

Country dogs & fires


I feel sorry for our dogs when we all head back to school and work on Mondays.  They must be downright lonely and bored to tears.  Over the weekend, we typically entertain a houseful of kids who play basketball, ride four wheelers, fish, and come in and out of the house constantly.  The dogs tag along with them step for step and love our “everyone is welcome” way of life. 
Last night, my fifteen year old son and a few of his friends lit a small bonfire down by the lake.  They selected a perfect location.  My table by the front window was ideal for supervising them.  I enjoyed the warmth of my own fire in the house.  Their bonfire put out sufficient light so I could see them.  My job was easy. 
Before it was time for me to crank up the “taxi” and “uber” everyone home, the crew came up to eat.  As customary, I had plenty of snacks on hand.  The boys will eat anything and everything that does not eat them first.  I never even thought about the dogs.  I assumed the threesome followed the kids home, but one was missing. 
If you read my column often, you can guess which one it was.  It was Bubs!  His nickname should be  M.I.A.  It was time for us to drive everyone home; therefore, I reluctantly left the house and left him on the loose.  I pictured him in my mind several counties away following the scent of something irresistible. 
When we got home, Brazos made a round on his four-wheeler, but returned home empty handed.  We sat down to warm up by the fire one more time before we headed down the hallway for bed.   Brazos remembered when they parked the Ranger, they walked in the shop to get a drink.  I did not offer to go and look. I was not responsible, and it was cold.  Brazos headed out again. 
Thankfully, Bubs walked in right behind him. He looked pooped.  I fussed at him as usual.
He looked up at me innocently though, seeming to say…I just followed them into the shop.  True enough, he followed the crowd and got locked up. He nearly also got locked out of the house for the night too!   (This sounds like an episode of the t.v. series COPS.) 
Conversations that take place in our home regularly could be appropriately applied to this scenario with Bubs “following” the crowd.  We explain to our kids that you can be in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong crowd and get into big trouble!  Following the crowd may be fun, but it may not be right!  I encourage them to proceed with caution and “Just say No” when in doubt. 
Unlike Bubs, who followed the crowd in the shop, I must admit that most of the trouble I found growing up, I discovered 100% on my own.  (Still true today, this is not just past tense) I would like to blame someone else, but it would be a lie!
I guess a good rule of thumb is NOT to follow our own fleshly desires and not follow to the crowd! IF we are looking for a person to follow, the only one worthy is Jesus.  If we are looking for an instruction book that covers it all, it is the Bible.   John 8:12 says “Again Jesus spoke to them saying, ‘I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.’” 
Whether we walk in darkness or in light depends on who we follow.  Follow Jesus this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment