Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Thursday, October 4, 2012

Big T

For those of you who knew Big T, no explanation needed. For those reading who did not, he was a larger than life, big man with a big heart. The Big T chili cook-off is this weekend. My crew will go some. I guess my son, Brazos, has Big T on his mind because he wrote about him in a poem today, thus inspiring my blog for today. My kids loved Big T and the way he would effortlessly sit on the back porch here and shoot the bull with them.

Gary P. Nunn coined a phrase about Big T years ago that is worthy of some thought. Gary said "Big T is all give and no take." We should all take note and make life more give than take! Jesus himself said it is better to give than to receive.

I read a book this week to kids at school called The Pumpkin Runner by Marsha Arnold about a man who won $10,000 in a contest and only kept enough for some new overalls and boots. I asked my students what they would do with the money if they had won it. I was amazed: I heard give to charity, the children's home, a cancer patient, church, and even to an older sibling wanting to go to college.

That's all give and no take! That's the key to happiness in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment