Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, October 1, 2012

Give a word

Sitting here at Baylor Dallas for my 6 month check-up, sipping my familiar coffee, hot chocolate mix that used to soothe my tummy when it was in knots.

A husband sitting just to my left uses a walker. He is the caretaker for his precious, elderly wife in a wheelchair. The nurse helped them get to their room. A man behind me just whispered to his wife, "You aren't worried, are you?". I am able in this present state of great health to just take it all in. People look at me like I am too young to be here in my Eagle volleyball Tshirt and tennis shoes.

I just met a new nurse of Dr. Copper's who was super sweet. We talked baseball, kids, and marriage. Now I sit and wait. I can hear Dr. Cooper's voice in the room next to me practically begging a man to eat more. I hear him suggest daily banana splits, only at a cancer hospital would you hear that.

My goal of the day here is to encourage someone with a smile, a word, or maybe a door held open. We can do that everywhere we go, you know. An encouraging word is free and easy to give at work, the grocery store, school, or especially at a place like this where lines of worry seem to frame everyone's face.

I silently pray...Lord, let me encourage someone here today. Maybe even my doctor who lives and breathes in this cancer filled place everyday of his work week. May my good health fill him with a needed dose of hope.

My mind is on this search for someone to encourage obviously because of where I today, but also because Bosque, my 8 year old, encouraged me last night. When we were unloading the car last night after a road trip to the Ranger game, he looked up from the pile in his arms that he was struggling to tote in and said, "What would we do without mom?". That simple question from the mouth of a babe was all I needed to keep me going. His kind words motivated me and I perked up. I plan to motivate and encourage someone today! I'm on the hunt. What could I possibly to today that would have more meaning? Nothing!

Proverbs 16:24 says pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the souls and healing to the bones.

Proverbs covers what negative words, gossip, and lies do as well. Let's just save that for later.

1 comment:

  1. You inspire and encourage those around you every single day without even trying, Betsy...I can't imagine what happened on a day when you TRIED. :)

    ReplyDelete