Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, October 29, 2012

Pet Pea?

Living with a large family is probably the main inspiration for my writing or perhaps writing and running up and down my country road are the only two things that will possible keep me sane.  My group does inspire me and with the Lord's help, I will remain sane.  My large group was smaller this weekend. The girls and I had some extra bonding time because it was opening weekend of deer season, youth weekend to be specific. 

Banner is a great baker.  She carries on, bosses us all in the kitchen, and loves it when she can totally take over a project and make it her own.  Can you say FIRST BORN child? 

She spent some time yesterday creating a perfectly moist and splendid red velvet cake and then topped it off with homemade cream cheese frosting.  It looked wonderful.  I had to sneak by before she properly unveiled her masterpiece and cut me a small sliver.  She said with her hands on her hips, "MOM, that is my pet peeve."  Sadly, I knew that it was, but I just could not resist. 

Blaise was in her usual spot perched on the bar and said, "Yeah, MOM, that is my pet pea too."  I questioned her choice of words by a raising of one my eyebrows and she confirmed her disgust with using the same exact words again,  "Yes MOM, that is my pet pea when you do that." 

Blaise does this often.  She copies the other members of her family attempting to preciously mimic us all, messing up and mixing up her words just a tad.  She cracks me up every time and reminds me that I too can be off the mark at times with many things in my life.  "Pet Pea" made me think that being close really does not cut it at times in life.  I heard a friend say years ago that partial obedience is disobedience.  She added too that delayed obedience is disobedience.  Ouch, and it still hurts.

If this sounds confusing, ponder this.  You ask one of your children to clean their room.  They do clean one area, but come nowhere close to cleaning the entire room.  Does that work?  Not really.  Maybe you ask your spouse to pick up a few ingredients at the store for you because you have a certain recipe in mind.  Does it work without all of the key ingredients?  Probably not!  Does pay the bill by Wednesday work if writing the check is delayed and it does not happen until Thursday or Friday?  I don't think so. 

When the Lord tells us to do something, we need to just do it.  That quiet nudge, soft whisper is meant to lead us and guide us.  Maybe it is a phone call you need to make, a friend who needs to hear from you, a relative who needs your forgiveness, or a sin or habit that you know to simply obey the Lord about.  The time is today for any and every type of obedience. 

Nothing makes me happier than an obedient child.  Life at home and work is so much more fun when everyone just does what they are supposed to do.  Life is not very fun for me when I am in charge if I am faced with disobedient people all around me.  Imagine for a moment how your Father in heaven must feel... when you obey, he is happy and proud of you, knowing that your good decision will lead to a blessing.  When you disobey or delay obedience, He must think..."Why?  Why?  Why do you make this so hard on yourself?"  He must feel frustration just like we do when our love ones are not obedient.  

Today, doesn't just take a step in the direction of oobedience, but obey fully. 

Jeremiah 7:23


"but I gave them this command: Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in obedience to all I command you, that it may go well with you."

Oh, I want my life to go well!  This must be the key.  This is GOOD NEWS!

No comments:

Post a Comment